If this site was useful to you, we'd be happy for a small donation. Be sure to enter "MLA donation" in the Comments box.
Schmidt, Edward Dwight (1892-1966)
Mennonite Weekly Review obituary: 1966 May 19 p. 5
Birth date: 1892 Apr 11
text of obituary:
. . .
• Funeral services for Dr. Edward D. Schmidt, who died May 13 in Wichita, were held Tuesday afternoon at the Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church there. Burial was made at Deer Creek, Okla. A native of Freeman, S. D., Dr. Schmidt had lived in Wichita for 29 years and was a naturopath and chiropractor. He attended Bluffton College, was a graduate of Bethel College, and formerly served as pastor of the Lorraine Avenue Church. Surviving are his widow, Otillie; a son and daughter; five sisters, one brother and one step-brother, all of South Dakota.
Mennonite Weekly Review obituary: 1966 Jun 9 p. 2
text of obituary:
Dr. Edward D. Schmidt, for many years a practicing naturopathic physician in Wichita, Kan., passed away there aft er a lengthy illness. Interment was made at Deer Creek, Okla., former home of Mrs. Schmidt. A graduate of Bethel College in 1919, he attended the former Witmarsum Theological Seminary in Bluffton, Ohio and served in various Mennonite pastorates, as well as in Presbyterian and Congregational pastorates for 13 years. He was born at Freeman, S. D., April 11, 1892.
Mennonite Weekly Review obituary: 1966 Jul 14 p. 8
text of obituary:
Edward Dwight Schmidt was born on April 11, 1892, in Freeman, S. D. to Andrew David and Anna (Graber) Schmidt. he was the fourth child and eldest son in a family of eight children.
He received his early schooling in the Freeman public schools and Freeman academy. He graduated from Bethel College, North Newton, Kan. in 1919. He then attended Bluffton College (Ohio) the following school year.
He was baptized on confession of his faith in Jesus Christ on Oct. 24, 1909, and untied with the Bethany Mennonite Church, Freeman.
He was ordained to the Christian ministry at Aberdeen, Ida. in 1920. He then served the pastorates of the Congregational Church in Medford, Okla. and in Chickasha, Okla. one year each while attending Oklahoma University Medical School. Later he served the Presbyterian Church in Ardmore, Okla. for two years.
He also served the following pastorates: First Mennonite Church, Aberdeen, Ida., two years; Plymouth Congregational Church, Chicago, Ill., five years; Congregational Church, Geneva, Ill., two years; Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, Kan., three years (Oct. 1947-1940); Congregational Church, Maize, Kan., two years (Dec. 41-Aug. 43).
During this time he continued his interest in and study of health services. He graduated from the Chicago College of Naprapathy in 1936, the Colvin Chiropractic College of Wichita in 1940, and the Nashville College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1945. After coming to Wichita, he opened an office and engaged in the practice of Naturopathic and Chiropractic in association with his wife.
He was married to Ella Lichti on June 8, 1919 by her father, Rev. John Lichti. Five children were born to them, three of whom died in infancy. His wife, Ella, died on Dec. 17, 1963.
He was married to Otillie Linscheid on August 4, 1964, and lived with her until his death.
He united with the Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church when he assumed its pastorate in 1937 and remained a member of this congregation until his death.
He was a member for many years of the Wichita Camp of the Gideons International. He was elected president of the Kansas Naturopathic Assn. in September 1964, and continued in that office until his death.
Dr. Schmidt was hospitalized on April 18, 1966 and died on May 13, 1966. He is survived by his wife, Lillie; his daughter, Naomi, Mrs. Walter Grundman of Wichita; his son, Edward A. Schmidt of LaMirada, Calif.; six grandsons; five sisters, Mrs. Helen Toews, Mrs. Lydia Kaufman, Mrs. Ida Bose, and Mrs. Tillie Schrag, all of Freeman, S. D.; and two brothers, Albert Schmidt, Freeman, S. D., and Dr. Henry Smith, Chicago, Ill.
Funeral services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. Paul L. Goering on May 17, 1966, in the Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, followed by burial in Bayard Cemetery, Deer Creek, Okla.
The Mennonite obituary: 1966 jun 7 p. 386