Calvary Hour | Mennonite Church USA Archives
The Calvary Hour was a Mennonite radio show founded in 1936 by William G. Detweiler of Canton, Ohio. Detweiler, the pastor of the Canton, Ohio, Mennonite Church sought a means by which to share the gospel with unbelievers and non-church goers. Detweiler embraced radio broadcasting as the solution. Because radio technology was still relatively new and "worldly," his decision to preach the Mennonite faith via radio was met with some disapproval in Mennonite circles.
The earliest broadcasts were titled "The Mennonite Hour," but at the Church's request, Detweiler soon changed the program's name to the Calvary Hour. The weekly broadcasts featured religious music, prayer, and a sermon.
After William G. Detweiler's sudden death in 1956, his twin sons, Bill and Bob Detweiler continued the Calvary Hour together until 1989. In 1989, Bob Detweiler passed away, and his brother Bill continued broadcasting until 2007.